Updated on September 17, 2021 by Ivana
Email marketing is the pillar of the marketing world. The data gathered from it offers an insight into the way people respond to different content and helps marketers increase the effectiveness of their email campaigns. For that reason we decided to gather all the important email marketing statistics you should know in one place.
General email marketing statistics
- There are 4 billion registered email users worldwide.
- 306.4 million emails are sent daily.
- Women pay 2 times more attention to marketing emails compared to men.
- 73% of Millennials prefer email over other channel.
- Top 3 reasons for unsubscribing are: too many emails (59%), no longer relevant info (43%) and don’t remember signing up or recognise the brand (43%).
Average email marketing rates
- The average open email rate is 22.02%.
- The average email click-through rate is 2.13%.
- The average email click-to-open rate is 10.12%.
- The average email unsubscribe rate is 0.12%.
- The average email spam rate is 0.01%.
Is email marketing effective?
Every year the use of email for marketing and its effect are put into question. Still it remains the first choice for companies to find new clients and retain existing ones. Moreover, the statistics clearly show that email marketing is here to stay and it is only going to get better.
- Primary client retention channel for 80% of SMBs.
- Main business growth channel for 81% of SMBs.
- 77% of B2B companies have a newsletter.
- 40% of B2B marketers say email newsletters are most critical to their marketing success.
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring customers than Facebook and Twitter.
- Emails have 6 times the click rate compared to social media.
- 64% of email recipients only open emails from trusted brands.
Why is email marketing important?
Email marketing is the most financially viable tool of outreach that can be adapted for different uses. Data shows that it’s a great method for finding and converting leads and because of that it has a great revenue potential.
- Email marketing drives more conversions than any other marketing channel, including search and social.
- 30% of marketers cite email marketing as having the highest ROI.
- 79% of B2B marketers believe email marketing is the most successful channel for content distribution.
- Email marketing has a ROI of 42$ for 1$ spent, or 4200% return on investment.
- 61% of consumers prefer to be contacted by brands through email.
- 59% of B2B marketers use email marketing primarily for revenue generation.
How many emails should you send and when it is best to send them?
When sending emails, it is important not to send too many or you risk chasing your potential leads away from your business. It is also important to know when is the best time to send your emails to increase your chances of them being seen and opened.
- Best time to send an email is 10 AM or 10 o’clock in the morning.
- The highest open rate is on Tuesday.
- Businesses that send 2 emails per month results have the highest open rates.
- 49% of consumers say they like to receive promotional emails from favourite brands every week.
Email marketing automation
Marketing automation tools help you personalise and scale your email outreach. Take a look at these statistics and see how automating part of the email marketing process can save you time, money and help your conversion rates.
- 50% of small and medium-sized businesses use their marketing automation software to send email drip campaigns.
- Drip Campaigns have 3 times higher click-through rates than one time emails.
- Automated emails drive 320% more revenue than non-automated emails.
- Trigger emails perform 3 times better than nurture and batch emails.
- The average open and click-through rates for welcome emails are 82% and 27% respectively.
You should segment your email lists for the best results. Target potential clients more accurately by segmenting them into smaller groups based on different data points. This approach allows you to deliver your email message more accurately.
- Segmented email campaigns have a 14.31% higher open rate, than non-segmented email campaigns.
- Segmented email campaigns have 100.95% higher click-through-rates compared to non-segmented email campaigns.
- Marketers say that email list segmentation (51%), personalised emails (50%) and drip campaigns (45%) are the most effective email marketing tactics.
- Segmented campaigns drive 760% increase in revenue.
- 33% of companies segment their customers by demographics and use only email marketing.
Personalisation helps your content to appeal to each potential and make your message feel special and unique. Customise your email copy and your content based on the information you have of the recipient, such as their job title, needs or their operating market to deliver content they would be interested in.
- Emails with personalised subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened.
- Personalised email messages increase click-through-rates by 14% and conversion by 10%.
- Personalised emails have 6 times better transaction rates.
- 74% of marketers say that personalisation increases customer engagement.
- 66% of marketers personalize their emails based on age data.
- 94% of customer insights and marketing professionals say personalisation is extremely important.
- Email segmentation and personalisation generate 58% of total revenue.
The subject line and email body
Take the time to write a compelling subject line and think about the content in your email body. Make sure not to use stop words and use emotional trigger words when appropriate. Statistics show that these elements are important for your open rates.
- 47% of people open emails based on the subject line.
- Using a recipient’s name in the subject line has a 21.2% open rate.
- Subject lines that use wording with a sense of urgency have a 22% open rate.
- Call-to-action button can lead to 28% increase to click through rate.
- Emails with 6-10 words in the subject lines have the highest open rate with 21%.
- 82% of marketers use less than 60 characters in the subject line.
- Email with “fw:” in the subject line have a 17% lower open rate.
- 50.2% of emails on average have 434 words, but recipients prefer shorter emails.
Visual media content in email marketing
People respond positively to visual elements. Visualize your content and diversify your email approach. Consider using emojis to make your email subject line stand out, using infographics to illustrate important information, or embedding a video in your emails to present your product. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the visual content in your email campaigns and see what your recipients like best.
Emojis 🤯 🔔 👍 🚀
The opinions and reactions to using emojis in marketing are divided. They are widely used on social media but email statistics show that their use in email marketing is low. Emojis can make your subject line stand out and in a full inbox and make your email campaigns more interesting, but their effectiveness varies greatly by demographics.
- An emoji in the email subject line can improve open rates by 56%.
- Only 6.9% of email subject lines have an emoji.
- 76% of email marketers say they have added an emoji to their email campaigns at least once.
- Using emojis appropriately in targeted holiday and seasonal email campaigns can drastically reduce customer complaint rates.
- 44% of users are more likely to purchase products advertised using emojis.
- 80% of Millennials prefer businesses to use emojis in promotional messages.
- Young women react the most positively to emojis.
- 31% of email marketing campaigns with emojis use more than one.
Images in email marketing stats
A picture is worth a thousand words. Pictures are best used in combination with body email text, as they can improve the visual style of your email. You can convey valuable information to your recipients through the use of infographics. Plus they make it easier to retain information as email marketing research shows.
- Email containing images or graphics have a 6% higher open rate and 2% better click-to-open rate in comparison with text only emails.
- 32% of marketers say visual images are the most important form of content for their business.
- For optimal effectiveness of your email marketing campaign and sure email delivery use a 80% text to 20% images ratio.
- Infographics are the fourth most used type of content marketing.
- 65% of users prefer email to contain more images instead of text.
- Emails with a large number of images have a lower click-through rate.
- Visuals increase a person’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80%.
- People retain 65% of the information three days later when it is paired with an image.
- 43% of Gmail users read their emails with images disabled.
- 74% of email recipients delete an email if it doesn’t load in 5 seconds due to an unoptimized image.
Animated GIF in email marketing stats
GIFs are a great stop point between images and video as they offer the best of both worlds. They are more interactive than images while being smaller and easier to create than a video, while offering the same visual benefits in a short time format. Another reason you should use gifs in your email marketing is the fact they are mobile friendly.
- 68% of Millennials like to see and prefer to use GIFs, emojis and stickers in their emails, while only 37% of people over 65 report the same.
- 51.28% of marketers use GIFs in their email marketing campaigns.
- Animated GIFs can improve email click-through rates by 26%.
- 72% of email marketers report higher transaction-to-click rates, when compared to regular bulk emails sent to the same customers.
Video email marketing stats
Using videos in your email messages can improve the performance of your email campaigns. Consider the potential of including video in your email marketing. You can use videos to showcase your product and promote new updates to your service. Take a look at the data below to see how videos help your email campaigns.
- Adding videos to your email can increase their click-through-rates by 300%.
- An initial email with a video receives an increased click-through rate of 96%.
- 85% of businesses use videos in their marketing content.
- 92% of marketers say videos are an important part of their marketing strategy.
- 88% of marketers say that video content has a positive ROI.
- 87% of views on business related videos come from desktop and laptop.
- 66% of people prefer watching a video to learn about a service or product.
- 86% would like to see more video content from brands.
- 90% of customers say that watching a product video has helped them make a buying decision.
- Viewers retain 95% of a message after watching a video.
- Using the word “video” in the email subject line improves open rate by 19%, click-through rate by 65% and decreases unsubscribes by 26%.
Mobile email marketing statistics
Smartphones are quickly overtaking desktops and laptops as the main business device. As you can see from these email statistics, mobile devices are slowly taking over. More and more people prefer to check their emails on their smartphone. Optimising your content for mobile devices will benefit your email campaign. And mobile optimization should be a priority, considering recent email marketing trends.
- 62% of emails are opened on mobile devices, 28% through webmail and only 10% of email opens are from a desktop mail app.
- The click-through rate on mobile is 3 times higher than on desktop.
- 86% of mobile device users check their email account on their mobile device.
- Mobile device users check their email 3 times more than desktop users.
- 70% of recipients that open the email on mobile first, will open the same email on a mobile, while 30% will open it on another device.
- On average people check their inbox up to 20 times per day across mobile, home and work.
- Email marketers state that optimizing their emails for mobile devices is the second most used tactic for improving email metrics.
- 1 out of 3 clicks on a link in an email comes from a mobile device.
- 28% of email recipients between 19 and 34 prefer to check their emails first on their smartphone, while just 8% from 56 to 67 years old report to do the same.
- 73% of Millennials prefer communication from businesses to come via email.
- 35% of business professionals check their email on a mobile device.
- 66% of emails opened on mobile devices are read for more than 8 seconds.
- 1 in 5 emails are not optimised for mobile devices.
- 62% of email recipients will ignore an email that doesn’t look properly on mobile.
- Emails that display incorrectly on mobile devices may be deleted within 3 seconds and 42.3% of recipients delete emails that are not optimised for mobile devices.
- iPhone is the most popular mobile client for reading emails with 29% of all opened emails occurring on the platform. Gmail is second with 27%.
- 75% of Gmail users access their email inbox from a mobile device.
- On mobile, 34.8% of emails are opened on iPhone compared to just 8.2% on Android devices.
Does email marketing still work in 2021?
As you can see from this long list of email marketing stats the answer is yes, of course. The email is the best tool for marketing that you should focus on. It offers a cost-effective approach with a great ROI that no other marketing channel can cone close to. Also it is the most versatile part of your marketing strategy that works great combined with any type of content, from using plain text to a more appealing visual design, the email can do it all.
Hopefully this email statistics guide offers you valuable insight into the world of email marketing and will help you to improve your email marketing for 2021 and beyond. Good luck with your email campaigns.