80 Email Marketing Statistics You Must Know In 2020
Email marketing is the pillar of the marketing world. The data gathered from it offers an insight into the way people respond to different content and helps marketers increase the effectiveness of their email campaigns. For that reason we decided to gather all the important email marketing statistics you should know in one place.
General email marketing statistics
- There are 4 billion registered email users worldwide.
- 306.4 million emails are sent daily.
- Women pay 2 times more attention to marketing emails compared to men.
- 73% of Millennials prefer email over other channel.
- Top 3 reasons for unsubscribing are: too many emails (59%), no longer relevant info (43%) and don’t remember signing up or recognise the brand (43%).
Average email marketing rates
- The average open email rate is 22.15%.
- The average email click-through rate is 3.43%.
- The average email click-to-open rate is 15.49%.
- The average email unsubscribe rate is 0.20%.
- The average email spam rate is 0.02%.
Is email marketing effective?
Every year the use of email for marketing and its effect are put into question. Still it remains the first choice for companies to find new clients and retain existing ones. Moreover, the statistics clearly show that email marketing is here to stay and it is only going to get better.
- Primary client retention channel for 80% of SMBs.
- Main business growth channel for 81% of SMBs.
- 77% of B2B companies have a newsletter.
- 40% of B2B marketers say email newsletters are most critical to their marketing success.
- Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring customers than Facebook and Twitter.
- Emails have 6 times the click rate compared to social media.
- 64% of email recipients only open emails from trusted brands.
Why is email marketing important?
Email marketing is the most financially viable tool of outreach that can be adapted for different uses. Data shows that it’s a great method for finding and converting leads and because of that it has a great revenue potential.
- Email marketing drives more conversions than any other marketing channel, including search and social.
- 30% of marketers cite email marketing as having the highest ROI.
- 79% of B2B marketers believe email marketing is the most successful channel for content distribution.
- Email marketing has a ROI of 42$ for 1$ spent, or 4200% return on investment.
- 61% of consumers prefer to be contacted by brands through email.
- 59% of B2B marketers use email marketing primarily for revenue generation.
How many emails should you send and when it is best to send them?
When sending emails, it is important not to send too many or you risk chasing your potential leads away from your business. It is also important to know when is the best time to send your emails to increase your chances of them being seen and opened.
- Best time to send an email is 10 AM or 10 o’clock in the morning.
- The highest open rate is on Tuesday.
- Businesses that send 2 emails per month results have the highest open rates.
- 49% of consumers say they like to receive promotional emails from favourite brands every week.
Email marketing automation
Marketing automation tools help you personalise and scale your email outreach. Take a look at these statistics and see how automating part of the email marketing process can save you time, money and help your conversion rates.
- 50% of small and medium-sized businesses use their marketing automation software to send email drip campaigns.
- Drip Campaigns have 3 times higher click-through rates than one time emails.
- Automated emails drive 320% more revenue than non-automated emails.
- Trigger emails perform 3 times better than nurture and batch emails.
- The average open and click-through rates for welcome emails are 82% and 27% respectively.
You should segment your email lists for the best results. Target potential clients more accurately by segmenting them into smaller groups based on different data points. This approach allows you to deliver your email message more accurately.
- Segmented email campaigns have a 14.31% higher open rate, than non-segmented email campaigns.
- Segmented email campaigns have 100.95% higher click-through-rates compared to non-segmented email campaigns.
- Marketers say that email list segmentation (51%), personalised emails (50%) and drip campaigns (45%) are the most effective email marketing tactics.
- Segmented campaigns drive 760% increase in revenue.
- 33% of companies segment their customers by demographics and use only email marketing.
Personalisation helps your content to appeal to each potential and make your message feel special and unique. Customise your email copy and your content based on the information you have of the recipient, such as their job title, needs or their operating market to deliver content they would be interested in.
- Emails with personalised subject lines are 26% more likely to be opened.
- Personalised email messages increase click-through-rates by 14% and conversion by 10%.
- Personalised emails have 6 times better transaction rates.
- 74% of marketers say that personalisation increases customer engagement.
- 66% of marketers personalize their emails based on age data.
- 94% of customer insights and marketing professionals say personalisation is extremely important.
- Email segmentation and personalisation generate 58% of total revenue.
The subject line and email body
Take the time to write a compelling subject line and think about the content in your email body. Make sure not to use stop words and use emotional trigger words when appropriate. Statistics show that these elements are important for your open rates.
- 47% of people open emails based on the subject line.
- Using a recipient’s name in the subject line has a 21.2% open rate.
- Subject lines that use wording with a sense of urgency have a 22% open rate.
- Call-to-action button can lead to 28% increase to click through rate.
- Emails with 6-10 words in the subject lines have the highest open rate with 21%.
- 82% of marketers use less than 60 characters in the subject line.
- Email with “fw:” in the subject line have a 17% lower open rate.
- 50.2% of emails on average have 434 words, but recipients prefer shorter emails.
Media content in email marketing
The modern consumer responds positively to visual elements. Visualise your content and diversify your email approach. Consider using emojis to make your email subject stand out, using infographics to illustrate important information or embedding a video in your emails to present your product.
Emojis 🤯 🔔 👍 🚀
The opinions and reactions to using emojis in marketing are divided. They are widely used in social media and email campaigns as they can help your email stand out in a full inbox, but their effectiveness varies greatly by demographics.
- Subject lines with an emoji improve open rates by 56%.
- 6.9% of email subject lines have an emoji.
- 44% of users are more likely to purchase products advertised using emojis.
- 80% of Millennials prefer businesses to use emojis in promotional messages.
- Young women react the most positively to emojis.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Best use in combination with your email text, they can improve the visual style of your email and you can convey valuable information to your recipients through the use of infographics. Plus they make it easier to retain information as research shows.
- 32% of marketers say visual images are the most important form of content for their business.
- 72% of businesses that use GIFs or cinemagraphs observe higher transaction-to-click rates.
- Infographics are the fourth most used type of content marketing.
- 65% of users prefer email to contain more images instead of text.
- Visuals increase a person’s willingness to read a piece of content by 80%.
- People retain 65% of the information three days later when it is paired with an image.
Can embedding videos in your email messages improve your metrics? Absolutely, considering their potential. You can use videos to showcase your product and promote new updates to your service. Take a look at the data below to see how videos help your email campaigns.
- Adding videos to your email can increase their click-through-rates by 300%.
- An initial email with a video receives an increased click-through rate of 96%.
- 85% of businesses use videos in their marketing content.
- 92% of marketers say videos are an important part of their marketing strategy.
- 88% of marketers say that video content has a positive ROI.
- 87% of views on business related videos come from desktop and laptop.
- 66% of people prefer watching a video to learn about a service or product.
- 86% would like to see more video content from brands.
Email marketing and mobile usage
Smartphones are quickly overtaking desktops and laptops as the main business device. Optimising your content for mobile devices will benefit your email campaign and should be a priority, considering recent market analysis.
- 50% of emails are opened on mobile devices.
- The click-through rate on mobile is 3 times higher than on desktop.
- 86% of mobile device users check their email account on their mobile device.
- Mobile device users check their email 3 times more than desktop users.
- 73% of Millenials prefer communication from businesses to come via email.
- 35% of business professionals check their email on a mobile device.
- 1 in 5 emails are not optimised for mobile devices.
- Emails that display incorrectly on mobile devices may be deleted within 3 seconds and 42.3% of recipients delete emails that are not optimised for mobile devices.
- iPhone is the most popular mobile client for reading emails with 29% of all opened emails occurring on the platform. Gmail is second with 27%.
- On mobile, 34.8% of emails are opened on iPhone compared to just 8.2% on Android devices.
Hopefully this statistics guide offers a valuable insight into the world of email marketing and will help you to improve your metrics for 2020. For more useful marketing insight subscribe to the Sales.Rocks newsletter.